LARGE GILT BRONZE PORTICO CLOCK, RESTORATION PERIOD
Large gilt bronze portico regulator clock from the Restauration period. It takes the form of an antique architecture with four smooth Corinthian columns with acanthus leaf capitals. The facade features rose, rosette and palmette motifs. The base and top are decorated with acanthus leaf friezes. The silvered dial, surrounded by a crown of leaves, shows the hours in Roman numerals. The clock is shaped like a nine-stringed lyre ending in a large rose. The clock stands on a rectangular base with four small feet decorated with acanthus leaves. The original movement is numbered 26367 and signed "LEPINE à Paris". This clock strikes the hours and half hours.
The house of Lepine was located at Place des Victoires in Paris. Founded by Jean-Antoine Lepine (1762-1814), it produced mechanisms that revolutionised the field of watchmaking. He became the watchmaker of King Louis XV in 1765. The house was taken over by his son-in-law Claude-Pierre Raguet, known as Lépine, who died before him. When Jean-Antoine died, his grandson sold the house, but the following owners kept the name Lepine until the 1920s.
Dimension of the base: 30cm x 15cm
Dim: W: 30cm, D: 15cm, H: 59cm.
Dim: W: 11,8in, D: 5,9in, H: 23,2in.
Condition report: In good overall condition. light wear to gilding. The movement has been cleaned, serviced and is in working condition.