PAIR OF VASES IN PORCELAINOF BAYEUX
Pair of Bayeux porcelain vases of baluster shape with flared neck. The body is decorated with a polychrome bouquet of flowers inscribed in a white oval reserve on one side and a stylized fleur-de-lis on the other. Blue background covered with vine branches and gold scrolls.
The Bayeux factory was created in 1812 by Joachim Langlois, former director of the Valognes factory. In 1824, wanting to conquer the Parisian clientele, Joachim Langlois opened a warehouse in Paris at n°88, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Martin then at n°80. Later, this warehouse was moved to n°8, rue Martel. In these years 1820, the fame of the manufacture largely exceeded the national borders to reach Russia and the United States. The fame of the factory soon reached the highest levels of society. In 1828, for example, the Duchess of Berry and many other prominent people made a point of visiting the store in Paris and making important purchases. When he died in 1830, Joachim Langlois left a factory at its peak that employed up to one hundred and fifty people. His widow, Marie-Jeanne le Cavélier, took over the management of the business. The new productions were officially presented for the first time in 1834, at the Great National Exhibition, place de la Concorde in Paris. The factory was awarded a bronze medal. In 1847, his two daughters, Jeanne and Sophie, took over the factory for two years before selling it to François Gosse in 1849. In order to compete with the great Parisian factories, he will reduce the luxury productions comparable to those and will limit himself to new and simpler decorations and to some imitations of Japan and China. Thus, he fully relaunched the activity of the factory, which will be abundantly rewarded at the World Fairs (New York 1853, Brussels 1857 and gold medals at the exhibitions of London in 1862 and Paris in 1867). Nevertheless, the death of François Gosse in 1870 marked the beginning of difficulties and his widow was obliged to sell the business in 1878 to Jules Morlent. The factory remained in the hands of this family until its final closure on August 1, 1951.
Dim: W:27cm, D:27cm, H:52cm
Condition report: In good condition. light wear to the gilding.